Some local resources and activity ideas available to girls and troops:
- Need an opening or closing activity or craft ideas for your troop meetings? Cards and crafts for Meals on Wheels are always needed! Have materials out when your girls are arriving to meetings, and ask each girl to complete at least one card or craft per meeting to give to a Meals on Wheels recipient or other homebound Sudbury resident. These small pieces of cheer go a *long* way to brighten their day. Poems, drawings, simple crafts, kindness rocks, sun catchers, centerpieces, cards with messages like "thinking of you" and a bit about themselves/hobbies/pets/favorite things (signed with first names only), etc.
- Goodnow Library Makerspace - the library has some awesome resources available for free! Available equipment includes:
- 3D printer to make small three dimensional items (check Thingaverse and TinkerCad for design ideas)
- A Silhouette Cameo machine that prints on paper, vinyl, felt, and cloth - including iron-ons
- A laser cutter that prints on wood, cardboard, paper (must be 14 to be certified to use it)
- A binding machine (to bind booklets)
- A Dremel drill
- Numbers and shapes paper punches
- 4 sewing machines
- Samples of fabric, leather, paper and ribbon, etc.
- And more!
- STEM New England Sci-Tech, a non-profit STEM+ education center dedicated to project based, hands-on learning for youths and families, recently started working with Girl Scout troops to help scouts earn badges by providing the instruction, tools and materials they need. They offer programs such as astronomy, woodworking, robotics, programming and amateur radio. You can check out the badges that they now support: https://www.nescitech.org/rentals/scout-troops/ Contact: Janet Sun at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Personal care items are always needed at the Sudbury CARE Pantry to provide much needed personal care, laundry, cleaning, and baby supplies to residents in need. Girls can also help sort and organize donations, Contact Nancy Kimble (email@example.com ;978-460-5451).